Brea Connecting the Core Active Transportation Plan
PlaceWorks collaborated with the City of Brea on this award-winning active transportation plan, which envisions a fully connected transportation network of complete streets in the city's core.
City of Brea
- Community Participation
- Active Transportation Planning
- Healthy Communities
- Urban Design
- Transit Planning & Design
- Graphic Design
- 2021 Transportation Planning Award of Merit, California Chapter APA
- 2021 Transportation Planning Award, California APA, Orange County Section
- 2021 Public Outreach Award of Merit, California APA, Orange County Section
The process for preparing Connecting the Core emphasized public engagement to ensure that walking, biking, and transit improvements reflected the community’s needs. Via in-person activities and an online platform, residents submitted recommendations and provided feedback as the network developed. In-person events included a kick-off workshop, a community design charrette, pop-up events that were hosted throughout the city, multiple technical working group meetings, Safe Routes to School activities, and a draft plan workshop. Public engagement activities were varied to ensure that input was diverse and that multiple community members were engaged—such as businesses, decision-makers, and neighboring communities.