Los Angeles, Bay Area
Principal/Associate Principal Landscape Architect
PlaceWorks is searching for an experienced Landscape Architect to assist in leading and growing the Landscape Architecture practice of our Design Team. We are seeking a California Registered Landscape Architect with a portfolio of built and designed work in both the public and private realm, who has 10 - 15+ years of experience designing, directing, and managing complex projects. In addition, an ability to lead, manage, and oversee staff, presentations, marketing, business development, and client relations is a must.
PlaceWorks is searching for an experienced Landscape Architect to assist in leading and growing the Landscape Architecture practice of our Design Team. We are seeking a California Registered Landscape Architect with a portfolio of built and designed work in both the public and private realm, who has 10 - 15+ years of experience designing, directing, and managing complex projects. Project experience should include master plans, concept design and construction documents for projects of all sizes, from design through construction. This is a full-time position, and the selected candidate could be based in our Los Angeles or Bay Area (Berkeley) office locations.
Our Design Team works in a cross-disciplinary, collaborative environment and across multiple office locations on projects with a strong emphasis on public landscape architecture. The project work of our Design Team spans Northern and Southern California, encompassing the full range of the practice from master planning and design guidelines to conceptual designs and construction documentation. We have a portfolio of built work including: large-scale plans, parks, playgrounds, trails, schoolyards, urban streets, habitat restoration, and plazas. Our work emphasizes resilience and community-focused design. Recent notable projects include resilient shoreline and floodplain parks, multi-benefit bicycle and pedestrian projects, and playground and schoolyard projects in highly urban neighborhoods. The position includes working with PlaceWorks’ Parks and Open Space Planning team to advance and implement park and open space plans and design concepts.
This is a Principal-level or Associate Principal-level position. Principals/Associate Principals of our firm are perceived as innovators, thought leaders, and influencers in the industry. They also have a demonstrated ability to lead, manage, and oversee staff, projects, presentations, marketing, business development, and client relations—all of which are qualities the ideal candidate must possess.
You’re most likely a fit if:
- You are creative, self-starting, outgoing, collaborative, a good listener, and passionate about your work.
- You have a diverse portfolio of built projects.
- Managing multiple projects is second nature and you have successful experience overseeing and coordinating major components of landscape architecture projects of all sizes within budget and schedule. You must have at least 15 years of project management experience.
- You are experienced with preparing and providing direction for the scope and content of design documents.
- You are a registered landscape architect in California (or other state with the ability to obtain reciprocity).
- You have confident and fluid freehand drawing and graphic skills, both in loose conceptual sketches and refined renderings.
- You have strong writing skills as well as verbal communication and interpersonal skills, and solid client communication abilities.
- You’re comfortable with public speaking and presenting—you’ll be expected to represent PlaceWorks at job interviews and to coordinate and conduct presentations at community workshops.
- You have strong leadership and management abilities to grow, mentor, and lead staff members.
- You have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).