Orange County, Los Angeles or Bay Area
Mid or Senior-Level Urban Designer/Architect
PlaceWorks is seeking a full-time, mid- to senior-level Urban Designer/Architect to join one of our design studios in either Los Angeles, Orange County, or Berkeley. We are looking for an individual with at least 5 years of architecture experience within urban or urbanizing settings for public-sector and/or private-sector clients. The individual must also have project management experience and solid client communication abilities.
PlaceWorks is seeking a full-time, mid- to senior-level Urban Designer/Architect to join one of our design studios in either Los Angeles, Orange County, or Berkeley. We are looking for an individual with at least 5 years of architecture experience within urban or urbanizing settings for public-sector and/or private-sector clients. The individual must also have project management experience and solid client communication abilities. Project experience should include site planning and urban design associated with infill development along corridors, within downtowns, near transit, and other areas in transition. Candidates with a greater level of experience are also encouraged to apply.
Working in a collaborative and casual work environment under the guidance of project principals, this urban designer/architect would work on a variety of design-related projects, providing support to both our Southern and Northern California offices and working with team members across the state. Our firm is deeply involved throughout California in the acceleration of housing development and the revitalization of our built-out communities.
You’re most likely a fit if:
- You love planning for the future of communities and making a difference with your work.
- You prefer urban building/development types, including commercial, mixed-use, and residential.
- You can perform design review of proposed projects on behalf of multiple city clients.
- You can prepare written and visual design analyses of proposed projects.
- You can write and illustrate design standards and guidelines; how-to-guides and/or toolkits for both residential and non-residential development; and design-based zoning standards for specific plans or focused municipal code revisions. You can coordinate and review of junior staff assisting in these work products.
- You’re skilled with hand drawing associated with opportunities/constraints mapping, site planning, and urban design framework plans.
- You have experience preparing and designing build-out scenarios to test and illustrate draft standards/codes.
- You’re able to travel to and perform site visits as a project requires.
- Supporting authentic engagement with diverse communities excites you and you’re willing to jump in to help with/participate in public outreach efforts, including multi-day design charrettes. You may be asked to coordinate events or meetings, prepare and assemble materials/supplies, present, and/or facilitate discussions at workshops.
- You’re comfortable with public speaking. You’ll be asked to prepare and conduct presentations at workshops, hearings, etc.
- You’re able to attend and travel to client meetings and community workshops which may occur on weekday nights and weekends.
- You’re interested in assisting with and actively participating in marketing, business development, and proposal efforts for design work.
- You can work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment with team members across the state.
- You have a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in architecture. Licensure or certification in practice area specialty is a plus.
- You are proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint). Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD, Rhino, SketchUp, and/or ArcGIS is desired, but not required.
The pay range for this position is $80,000 - $160,000 per year, dependent upon experience and other relevant factors.
To apply submit cover letter, resume, and writing samples and/or design portfolio in a single PDF under 10MB.
Based in California, PlaceWorks is one of the premier planning, design, and environmental services firms in the U.S. The firm’s expertise and services span a wide range of practices, including city planning, urban design, landscape architecture, environmental review, GIS, and community participation. Our interdisciplinary, holistic approach integrates sustainability, economic vitality, community goals, and collaboration with our clients in the planning and design process.
To our employees, we offer interesting and diverse project work; a casual, collaborative, and flexible work environment; training, professional development, and career growth opportunities; a comprehensive benefits package (for full-time employees); and the chance to work amongst industry leaders, practice area founders, and friendly, supportive, and dedicated colleagues.
PlaceWorks is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at PlaceWorks are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, military and veteran status, physical or mental disability, or any other status covered by applicable federal, state, or local law.