Entry-level Environmental Planner
PlaceWorks has an immediate need for a full-time, entry-level planner to join our Environmental Team. The candidate selected for this position could be based in any of our office locations. We are looking for individuals with 0 – 3+ years of professional experience (such as through an internship) related to planning, who have an interest in environmental planning and environmental analysis.
PlaceWorks has an immediate need for a full-time, entry-level planner to join our Environmental Team. The candidate selected for this position could be based in any of our office locations. We are looking for individuals with 0 – 3+ years of professional experience (such as through an internship) related to planning, who have an interest in environmental planning and environmental analysis—we are willing to train! The ideal candidate has excellent writing, research, and critical thinking skills, and is self-starting, outgoing, and passionate about helping shape and improve communities and the environment through their work.
Working in a collaborative and casual work environment under the guidance of skilled project managers and other senior staff, this planner will assist in the preparation and processing of environmental documents and with other aspects of the CEQA process to contribute to the successful completion of projects at a variety of scales, often working concurrently on more than one project. We work in a wide array of communities throughout California and our environmental planning practice conducts environmental review for a variety of private- and public-sector project work, including general and specific plans, schools, parks, mixed-use development, housing projects, commercial centers, and other types of projects.
You’re most likely a fit if:
- You love planning for the future of communities and making a difference with your work.
- You are familiar with or are genuinely interested in learning the CEQA and NEPA process and growing your skills in technical writing and impact analysis.
- You're a self-starter who is also a team player, and who can work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment, including a virtual, work-from-home environment when needed.
- You have excellent writing, formatting, and proofreading skills and are detail oriented.
- You're a skilled researcher and enjoy analyzing and compiling research and data as required by a project.
- You are able to process complex information and think critically about how to convey information simply and clearly.
- You have strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- Engaging with the public excites you, and you’re willing to jump in to help with outreach efforts. You may be asked to coordinate meetings, prepare and assemble materials/supplies, give presentations, and/or facilitate discussions at workshops.
- You're able to attend and travel to client meetings and community workshops which typically occur on weekday nights and weekends, and to perform site visits in a variety of locations.
The pay range for this position is $26.00 - $38.00 per hour, dependent upon experience and other relevant factors.
To apply submit cover letter, resume, and writing samples and/or design portfolio in a single PDF under 10MB. Specify office location desired.
Based in California, PlaceWorks is one of the premier planning, design, and environmental services firms in the U.S. The firm’s expertise and services span a wide range of practices, including city planning, urban design, landscape architecture, environmental review, GIS, and community participation. Our interdisciplinary, holistic approach integrates sustainability, economic vitality, community goals, and collaboration with our clients in the planning and design process.
To our employees, we offer interesting and diverse project work; a casual, collaborative, and flexible work environment; training, professional development, and career growth opportunities; a comprehensive benefits package (for full-time employees); and the chance to work amongst industry leaders, practice area founders, and friendly, supportive, and dedicated colleagues.
PlaceWorks is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at PlaceWorks are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, military and veteran status, physical or mental disability, or any other status covered by applicable federal, state, or local law.